Monday, February 06, 2006

Beautiful Dreamers

My husband and I are in the process of buying an old house in one of Richmond's many older neighborhoods that are making the transition from shabby and neglected to renovated and restored. I've had old houses on the brain lately and I've been doing a LOT of reading online about caring for older homes and renovations. I stumbled accross this blog, This DecrepitVictorian House. It chronicles the ongoing renovation project of a Richmond couple's once splendid victorian house in the Fairmont neighborhood of Church Hill. I literally spent hours reading through their archives, looking at their photos, and laughing out loud several times. The best way to read it is to dig way back trough the archives and follow their 2 1/2 year adventure from the beginning. Very enjoyable and VERY educational. What I admire most about these people is their bravery at taking on such a huge project with basically zero experience and their ability to see the beautiful house underneath all of the decay, neglect, and hideous alterations that these old houses suffer.

No comments: